the basic steps of a skincare routine
I love listening to podcasts. The Emma Guns Show is one of my favorites. Her interview with Dr. Murad was one of my favorite things in July.
He sounds so great and his sunscreen is amazing. One of the takeways from the interview was - skincare is health care.
It really is. Just like we need to eat healthy and workout regularly, we need to take care of our skin.
Having a skincare routine will keep your skin in its best possible state. So that when something like an eczema flare up or hormonal acne happens, it's so much easier to deal with.
So before you create a routine, what do you need to know?
- Your skin type and concerns. I'm have normal to dry skin with concerns like dark spots and clogged pores.
- Your skincare budget. Because adulting means not blowing your savings on skincare.
- The common formulas that address your skin concerns. This way, when you go searching for skin care products, you will find what your need.
So what does a basic skin care routine have?
Your morning skin care routine should be focused on protecting your skin. The skin handles a lot of stuff during the day - pollution, UV radiation, sweat etc. So we need to make sure it's in the best possible shape.
Ideally, this is how your AM routine could look
- Cleanse. A simple wash with clean water would do the trick for many skin types. Use a facial wash if you want to, but you don't have to.
- SPF - Daily, unless you aren't stepping out in the sun or treating sensitive skin at the moment.
In the night, your skin care routine is all about repairing and treating.
A basic skin care routine has elements of cleansing, exfoliating, moisturizing and SPF. Create one that suits your needs, budget and lifestyle. Have you ever had a skincare routine? Comment and let me know!