the oil cleansing method
I'm often asked for alternatives to store bought cleansers. If for some reason you can't use a conventional cleanser, I would suggest the Oil Cleansing Method or OCM.
The Oil Cleansing Method is the use of oils to cleanse your skin. Oil cleansing is based on the dissolution theory of ‘like dissolves like’ where oil is able to dissolve substances with a similar chemical structure.
So in skin care, oil can dissolve dirt, makeup and sunscreen.You can use a single oil that works for your skin or mix several that suit it better.
Mineral oil like the Johnsons baby oil is a popular choice. Olive and sunflower oils are popular for dry skin and jojoba oil for dehydrated skin. Castor oil is quite drying though, so watch out for that.
Before you oil cleanse, abeg, patch test the oils. If you are acne prone, OCM can lead to congestion and breakouts. If dehydration and dryness are a major concern for you, try the oil cleansing method.
So, how we do?
Steps in the oil cleansing method
- Choose which oil or oil blend you will use.
- Pour some of your preferred oil onto clean, dry hands before applying it on your preferably dry face. Massage the skin for about a minute. Too long and you will risk irritation.
- If you have waterproof makeup on, apply the oil on the skin and let it sit for a minute or two before massaging. It will dissolve the makeup making it easier to remove.
- If you’re using a single oil or an oil blend you created, simply rinsing it won't do. Wipe it away with a clean microfiber cloth, damp with cool or lukewarm water.
- Don't steam your face or use a rough cloth. Both can irritate the skin.
- After removing the oil, carry on with the rest of the skincare routine.
Comment and let me know if you tried the oil cleansing method before. If so, what are your favorite oils to use?