Let's quickly talk about PHA and bionic acids in skincare
The less time I could be in the sun, the better. Going out in the nights and evenings gave me plenty of time to study skincare during the day.
I turned lemons into Grade A lemonade, deciding to figure out how someone with almost always sensitive skin could gently exfoliate.
If you have sensitive skin, rosacea, dermatitis or eczema, the answer to gentle exfoliation lies in PHAs and bionic acids.
What are PHAs and bionic acids?
The skincare company NeoStrata are the creators of PHAs.
Polyhydroxy Acids and bionic acids are AHAs that are gentler and more hydrating than the usual glycolic, lactic and mandelic acid. But don't get it twisted, they may be less irritating and more hydrating but are still as effective.
They are less irritating because they have a large molecular structure that causes slower/gradual skin penetration. In skincare, the smaller (molecularly) an ingredient, the faster it can penetrate the skin and the more likely it can irritate.
Benefits of PHAs and bionic acids
Aside from the usual benefits of regular exfoliation, here's why you may want to use PHAs and bionic acids.
- The larger molecular structure gives less chances of irritation/stinging making them great for sensitive and dry/dehydrated skin.
- They are more hydrating than conventional AHAs.
- They are antioxidant and protect cells from UV damage. UV damage = inflammation, fine lines, wrinkles, uneven tone, skin cancer.
- They preserve the skin's natural elasticity by preventing an increase in the enzyme elastase. Elastase breaks down the protein elastin. Elastin maintains skin flexibility.
- They inhibit MMP enzymes in skin. MMP enzymes cause the skin to sag and increase naturally with age and sun exposure.
Types of PHAs and bionic acids
- Gluconolactone/Gluconic acid
- Lactobionic acid
- Maltobionic acid
Who Can Use PHAs and bionic acids?
Anyone. Especially if you have skin that is:
- Aging or
Wanna Try? Check out this skincare with PHAs
- Zelens PHA Bio Peel Resurfacing Facial Pads
- Neostrata Ultra Moisturizing Face Cream
- Skinfood Freshmade Pineapple Mask
- COSRX PHA Moisture Renewal Power Cream
- Exuviance Soothing Toning Lotion
- No7 Lift and Luminate Triple Action Serum
- SVR Sebiaclear Active
- CNP Invisible Peeling Booster
Always use SPF.
Have you tried PHAs and bionic acids yet? Let us know in the comments.
If you would like to read some more on PHAs, you could start with this article.
*This post contains affiliate links. So we get a lil' coin when you click the link and make a purchase. Thanks for the support!*
Like this post? Share it on social and Pin the image below.